I know that this forum is more about VS, but most of us that have this also have anxiety and depression.  Many of us have tried to fix our problem by taking pharmaceuticals that manipulate our neurotransmitters in an attempt to chemically balance ourselves.  For example, many of us have taken benzos  for the preservation of GABA, a very calming neurotransmitter, however we clearly see the dangers and adverse health implications they have on our overall well-being. 
I personally prefer the more natural route to things.  I think though that if we can better understand how neurotransmitters play a crucial role in our mood and how they are made..then maybe we can make better choices in restoring our brain health and neurological system. 

Dopamine/Epinephrine/Norepinephrine:
These neurotransmitters are known primarily to increase mental alertness and focus, as well as to preserve memory function under stressful conditions

Precursors  Phenylalanine  --> L-Tyrosine --> L-Dopamine --> Norepinephrine --> Epinephrine

Depletes Glutathione in the process....N-Acetyl Cysteine is needed for Glutathione production.  Also need Folic Acid and B12.

Serotonin /Melatonin
Low serotonin levels are often attributed to anxiety, depression, panic attacks, insomnia, obesity, fibromyalgia, eating disorders, chronic pain, migraines, and alcohol abuse.  Melatonin needed for restful sleep.  Individuals deficient in serotonin usually suffer from insomnia. 

Precursors:  Tryptophan --> L-tryptophan --> 5-HTP --> Serotonin --> Melatonin. 

Substrates needed for conversion: B3, B6, Folate, Magnesium, Iron, Calcium, Zinc

GABA
Calming effect on our neurological system

Precurors are Glutamic Acid and Glutamate

L-Theanine crosses BBB to produce GABA in the brain

Taurine is an amino acid that is similar in structure to GABA and has anti-anxiety properties. It may be useful in agitation, restlessness, irritability and depression.

Edited 1 time by Omega32 Mar 16 11 12:52 PM.