Please read re research project IMPORTANT! George OP

Please post anything new in the "General Discussion" forum.
NickPhD
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 03:01 #1

Hi all,

For anyone who hasn't read the other posts: I've been discussing a potential research project with a prof here at stanford university in CA, involving the investigation of underlying neural/immunological/hormone/hereditary and pharmacological causes of VS. He is interested in going ahead with this project and I am anxious to get it underway.

Our first step will involve gathering information. I'd like to get a feel for what level of interest and subject participation we will have - in terms of people wanting to fill out a detailed formal questionnaire on symptoms/treatments/medical history/family history/and other related personal information. The data from these questionnaires would be analyzed, discussed and optimally published in a scientific journal. note: this involves data collection for research purposes only.

I'd like to hear any comments you may have on how we could make this process both convenient and confidential. G Farmer (moderator) suggested that we create a website at our lab that could be linked to this one. If people would feel more comfortable not sending their profile out on the internet, we could also provide a printable form and stanford lab address for mailing purposes.

What we want, is to make this as simple as possible, in order to ensure a good and comprehensive response. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated. Thanks.

georgefarmer
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 12:22 #2

I think this is a great opportunity to have highly qualified research people at Stanford look into our problem. I hope we will get some good response to her suggestion. I will do what I can to help.

George OP

eyeissues
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 15:07 #3

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. While I'm in Florida, and not close to CA at all I can't really travel there (because of my two small children), but I am willing to do anything else. Money, time, answer questions, whatever it takes.

Also, I'm not sure how the message board works, but if the moderators have a way to email the registered users, that would be a great way to contact people who don't come here anymore.

Another suggestion would be for the people on here who have said that they have family members with VS. If the family members could fill out the questionaire as well, that should prove to be helpful to the researchers.
The Eye on Vision Foundation strives to raise funds and awareness for vitreous floaters, visual snow and macular degeneration. Please support the eye floaters research effort:  http://www.gofundme.com/floaters. There is also a visual snow study taking applicants now for phase 2. Please see the website for more details: http://www.EyeOnVision.org

viper123456
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 15:09 #4

I'm willing to come up to Palo Alto to be poked and prodded...

viper123456
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 15:15 #5

I know academics can be competitive, but there is a study to map the mechanics and electrical systems of the retina under way at Berkeley- engineering school. It may be interesting to colaborate. Or it may just confuse things so forget about it...just a though.

anna
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 20:25 #7

I would be happy to fill out a detailed questionnaire and send it in.

georgefarmer
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 21:57 #8

Eyeissues: I have done that, emailed all members about the possible study.

George OP

Robert
Regular Visitor

29 Oct 2005, 23:58 #9

I'm very excited about this research project and will do anything I can to help!

Since many of us also suffer from visual trails and afterimages, would it be possible to include these particular abnormalities in the questionnaire in addition to the visual snow?

Robert