Concussion

For general information and discussion.
JMR2012

20 Feb 2011, 23:28 #1

Have concussions to the back of the head been known to induce VS?  I was skiing backwards pretty damn fast back in November, someone skied over my tails, and my head smacked straight to the snow, putting a crack thru the back of my helmet...  I thought I was fine, because I didn't black out or anything... but I hit really hard, and saw a flash of white.  This was two weeks after a heavy MDMA dose.  Im just now making connections between my anxiety, concussion, and MDMA.  Could the concussion be the leading cause, seeing as the back of the head is where visual function is located? 
Last edited by JMR2012 on 20 Feb 2011, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

Mandrake

20 Feb 2011, 23:35 #2

I've had three major concussions...one of which was a free fall from fifty feet in a climbing accident in which I was unconcious for a long time.  Upon waking I had tunnel vision for awhile.  At this point I already had VS from psychadelics.  It would make sense that this could be an issue because the back of your brain is exactly where vision is processed.  Its an interesting point.  Making connections can be the downfall of everyone that has such problems.  Not that honest scientific or philisophical inquiry is not required, just that it heightens anxiety which heightens symptoms which heightens anxiety....you get the point.  Some believe these problems are simply results of a hyper-sensitive mind noticing things that are always there (just a theory, no offense intended) so if the anxiety makes it worse, the brain learns to see it as worse then cannot "un-learn" it things spiral fast.  Many of us cannot ignore our symptoms (everpresent chaos is the norm for me) but there is unquestionably a cognitive/perceptual relation as well as a case of pretty clear off-kilter nuerochemistry.

JMR2012

21 Feb 2011, 00:48 #3

I do have a hypersensitive mind I guess you could say -- I've always been very emotionally sensitive/had some level of anxiety, but my anxieties had all but disappeared and I felt very grounded all of last year... until I did several heavy doses of MDMA, which for sure jolted my neurochems a little bit. I could actually tell the static was getting worse in the midst of a candy-flip a month back, which sent me into panic attacks, constant anxiety, etc... I thought I did some serious damage to my brain, and I may have really fucked up my dopamine/serotonin -- but the worst of the crippling anxiety is over, and I'm hoping after 6 months or so my neurotransmitters will get relatively normal again. I've heard with drug-induced VS, it tends to disappear with time, but I've also heard it can be permanent -- I'm just trying to not think about it so much, as I KNOW that increases the VS. I was never a heavy acid user (4 times), mushrooms about 8 times maybe, but I'm almost positive it was the MDMA 7 times in 6 months that did it. But thinking like that just fills me with regret and makes me anxious... vicious cycle. How long since you stopped using psychs has your VS persisted? and fifty feet goddamn were you leading an R-rated route or something? I was thinking about getting back into climbing to give my brain some "real" anxiety, in the hopes to reset it or something... i dunno

Matt00011.thosewithvisualsnow
Regular Visitor

21 Feb 2011, 18:19 #4

Mandrake wrote:Some believe these problems are simply results of a hyper-sensitive mind noticing things that are always there (just a theory, no offense intended) so if the anxiety makes it worse, the brain learns to see it as worse then cannot "un-learn" it things spiral fast.  Many of us cannot ignore our symptoms (everpresent chaos is the norm for me) but there is unquestionably a cognitive/perceptual relation as well as a case of pretty clear off-kilter nuerochemistry.
This is a very very good point. Sometimes I feel like my brain is on speed! Image
My mind is always in over drive, always thinking of something or worrying over it. I agree the symptoms are hard to ignore now but having a more positive outlook on life and trying to relax alittle more may help in the long term for the condition and may have a positive impact on it in the long run.
The only problem is if you've lived your life a certain way since you were a child in how you think and act it is very very hard to break the cycle, because it has formed the person you are.
Last edited by Matt00011.thosewithvisualsnow on 21 Feb 2011, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
1  Visual Snow, 2 cell like floaters, 3 increased sheerers phenomenon 4, increased image burn ins and trails, 5 feelings of vertigo and dizziness, 6 heartbeat pulse seen in vision. 7, increased pressure at back of head.