Anyone heard of this new test?

Please post anything new in the "General Discussion" forum.
viper123456
Regular Visitor

03 Dec 2006, 18:45 #1

Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy (MRS)

"This is an exciting new tool, used in conjunction with MRI, that detects the intra-cellular relationship of brain metabolites. Studies show that in an injured brain, the relationship between the amount of certain compounds in the brain changes in predictable ways, which can be picked up, non-invasively, by MRS. While MRS is in its early stages, it holds great promise in the "objectivication" of brain injury. THIS DATA CAN AND SHOULD BE CAPTURED ON MRI WITHIN SIX WEEKS OF INJURY."

Don't know if this test is widely available and if anyone has had it. Would be interesting to know.

Thanks.

starrant
Regular Visitor

03 Dec 2006, 20:32 #2

You know my hospital actually has this. Stupid me, I rejected this test because my Doc put me in for it when I told him I wanted a SPECT exam (which they don't do on the brain for some reason). I think this test, you like have to get an MRI with it or something like that. However, my neuro thought it might be a good idea to get this done on me. Stupid, stupid me. I could have already had this test done back in October.

viper123456
Regular Visitor

03 Dec 2006, 20:49 #3

I wouldn't beat yourself up. Who knows if it is the right test. I just ran across it randomly. Ksomething might be able to suggest if it even makes sense to pursue.